Thursday, November 8, 2012

Four Years


photo by William Caspers, 2008
 Four years ago, it was another presidential election week. I was finishing up my first year at what was then a new job, where I've worked ever since. I had just moved into my first apartment. I also got to marry my best friend.

A lot of that day is a blur to me. Obviously, I was nervous. James and I spent the night before apart, and the first time I saw him was as I was walking down the aisle. I remember the feeling of breathing in and out when our music started and I was told it was time. I also remember that I forgot what I was supposed to be doing as soon as I got up to the alter. (Fortuntely, our pastor noticed my look of panic and subtly pointed to the podium, where our friend was reading.) Friends and family from all over the world were there, and I was just happy.

James and I have been together for 11 years, since our first year of college. We've been through a lot together, both good and not so good. We'll be going through a lot more together in our lives. I only hope that I can be as loving and supportive as he's been to me, and that I can always be strong enough to be the rock he may need me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment