Wednesday, August 22, 2012

August Reading

I have a slight disclaimer to make. It may look as if I've been reading an insane amount, but the majority of the books I've been reading this month are children's/young adult's, so they are much shorter and I can read them in about a day. Also, the first book on my list was mostly read in July but finished this month. 


War Brides by Helen Bryan

Pink Smog by Francesca Lia Block

The Doll in the Garden by Mary Downing Hahn

The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell

The Chemistry of Tears by Peter Carey

There are some books I read when I was younger that I got rid of when I became older and it was no longer cool to have quite so many "youth" books. I wish now that I hadn't gotten rid of them, because I want to read them again. And there are some I just don't remember what they're called or who wrote them, but I remember roughly what they were about. The Doll in the Garden was one of those books. I hadn't given the story much thought until a few months ago when artist Shannon Richardson brought this painting into the gallery:

Little Girl one day You'll... by Shannon Richardson
(I can't figure out how to get rid of the white at the side...oopsie.) After re-reading The Doll in the Garden, I feel like this painting totally tells the story. It's sort of incredible how art can affect your mind.

I'm almost done with The Chemistry of Tears, and I really wanted to enjoy it more than I am. It's one of those storys where the author kind of glosses over things and gives vague little hints about what something might mean, and you feel like the concept probably isn't that difficult to grasp but you just cant. It makes me feel as if I'm reading through a fog, and I don't like that. I find it frustrating. But who knows, maybe the last couple of chapters will tie things up nicely and answer some questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment