Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Selfish Acts


Seriously.
 I need to confess something. I just did something I feel a teensy bit guilty about. And I know you'll probably think that's silly, but whatevs. I just signed up for a book arts class at the local art center. (Squeee!!) I wasn't able to get into the book arts elective the one time it was offered at my college, and I've wanted to do something like this for a long time.

So, you might ask, why the guilt?

I don't really know. I guess now that I'm out of high school and college, and "in the real world" with a "real job," doesn't doing something like this make me just a tiny bit selfish?  It's something that's done just for me, no one else, so isn't it just a tiny bit wrong? I'll be at work for 8 hours and will head straight over to the art center for a 3 hour class once a week. Shouldn't I make my home life with James a priority?

Logically, I know that signing up for a class doesn't make me selfish. I know that it's not wrong to do something that's just for me. (Who knows, I could incorporate books into my art at a later date and make some money at it. That would be for my family, not me!) James is super supportive of any ideas I have, including dying a hot pink streak in my hair, even though I can tell he hopes I won't do it. (I won't. Probably.)  He knows that me taking a 3 hour class once a week does not make our home life any less of a priority. But still, there's that tiny voice (you know the one).  It's saying all sorts of nasties. It should really shut up.

In true me-style, I acted before I could chicken out. (That's the only way I made it to England. I just didn't think about the fact that I was going to a country I'd never been to for a significant period of time until I was basically on the airplane.) I registered before I could give that voice the chance to talk me out of it. So I have to go, because I've paid for it. Ha.

What do you guys do to shut that little voice up?

No comments:

Post a Comment