Tuesday, December 18, 2012

It's Always Best to Not Run Into Lawn Ornaments

I was writing a post about mental illness and the need to address it in this country and abroad. However, this hits too close to home and I find I'm not able to really write about it yet.

So, instead, here are some pictures from the holiday walk James and I took the other night!

Only in America would you find a blow-up snowman actually shivering with "cold," complete with fake southern California "snow."
 
This house has a USC flag and Christmas carols blasting from hidden speakers.


This house won "Most Beautiful."

We just liked this house

There's a street in our city that goes ALL OUT with holiday decorations. Each block competes against each other, and it doesn't matter if you don't celebrate Christmas.

This was one of James's favorite houses. They have beautiful stained glass windows.


Candy Cane walk
 
I kind of loved photographing people's houses. That's not creepy, is it?
 Growing up, my parents and I used to drive around our town to look at the Christmas lights. When James moved out here, I tried to do the same thing with him, but it never quite worked. One year, we got coffee and drove around but I don't think either of us were really into it. Other years we've just forgotten, or not had time. This year, we had a stroke of genius. We parked the car, got coffees, and walked around looking at lights. Why this never occured to me before, I don't know. But it's the best. You get to spend time together, and you both get to see the lights, as opposed to the passenger in the car seeing them and the driver just glancing at them whilst trying not to run into small children or lawn ornaments.

Methinks we've hit upon a lasting holiday tradition.

What do YOU do to celebrate the holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment